Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Birthday Run

So. Last fall I tossed around the idea of running 26.2 miles on my 47th birthday which falls on May 21. By Thanksgiving I had decided to do it and started telling people my plan. I knew running that far would be a challenge, but I figured birthday runs are supposed to be challenging. Now, I don't know who started spreading the word, but apparently there are now over 20,000 people who want to join me on my birthday run. Say whaaaat? Look. I get embarrassed when we go out to eat and the server finds out it's my birthday. Before I know it I have a plastic pirate hat on my head and the wait staff sings "Happy Birthday" like a sea shanty with all kind of "matey's" and "arrrr's" thrown in for color. I don't need it!

Not only are all of these people running with me but the police are blocking off the roads along the route I am going to take. I've heard there will be bands playing all along my run with hundreds, if not thousands, of people cheering me on. Someone is even going to open the Fargodome to accommodate all of these people! What started out as a quiet run has gotten completely out of control!!!! Believe me, I'll find out who started this whole thing, and they will suffer a payback.

Okay. I know next weeks race is not all about me. It is a great coincidence that the marathon falls on my birthday. It promises to be a very memorable day. I am grateful for having the chance to run it with a great group of people. I know that we are all going to do very well. Our bodies have handled the miles of pounding week after week with no serious injuries. We are prepared to battle the 26.2 mile beast!

Best of luck to everyone running next weekend. I guess my next post will be a race recap. WOOO HOOO!

6 comments:

  1. You're right, it will be a memorable day. Have a great run and a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this write-up Erik! I didn't know it was your birthday the day of the run! :) It's pretty cool that the whole city is going out of the way to make it a special day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And so it's almost here! It sure seems like you're ready, both physically and mentally. What a great way to celebrate a birthday. Have a super run and a very happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, to some it is the end of the world that day..Good Luck Anyway...JK, Can't wait to hear about it after your done, very inspiring!

    Jennie Boland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I've heard that the world is supposed to end on the 21st. I'm guessing that would be a relief around mile 21. At least it would be an end to the misery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday and have a good run!

    ReplyDelete