Sunday, October 23, 2011

FM Half-Marathon Results

The FM Mini (Half-marathon) Race was a couple of weeks ago. I went into it with no real goals or expectations other than to finish the race and have fun. The weather was great -- sort of cool and overcast. Thankfully the 50+ mile per hour winds from the previous two days had gone away. We were left with just a nice breeze to keep everyone cool while they ran.

I met Jon and Erin at the Civic Center at 8:00. Erin's friend Sabrina was there with her sister who was running as well. Since the 5K and 10K races started so much earlier than the half-marathon, we had plenty of time to kill. Lamont was running in the 10K and we wished him luck as he made his way to the starting line. While we waited to start we bumped into Chris from our marathon training group. Finally after a forty-five minute wait we were lined up and ready to go.

Erin, Chris, and I were planning on starting together and lined up near the back. Jon lined up dead last and planned on passing as many people as he could. The siren sounded and we were off. Erin, Chris, and I started at a pace that was a little faster than I had planned on running, but it felt comfortable. After a few miles Chris started falling back. Erin and I kept our pace as well as we could; we figured we could finish in under two and a half hours.

At about the four mile mark Erin and I were starting to slow down a little. Just when we needed a boost we saw Jerry (from the Thursday morning group) waiting to join us for a while. He helped us push through and kept us moving at a good pace. We worked at passing people and used that as motivation to keep moving -- the same strategy Jon was using from the start. Jerry ran with us for about three miles before heading back home. Erin and I thanked him for running with us. Having him encourage us and keep the conversation going was a huge help.

I was doing okay until about ten miles in. That's when my legs let me know that my training had not been consistent enough to run this far at this pace. The course was laid out to have us run past the finish line with about two miles left. There was a large crowd of spectators and runners who had already finished. It was really hard to run by it knowing we still had some more miles to go before we could join them.

Just after passing the finish area we headed for the Oak Grove park. The bike path we were on had a small incline leading us into the park. At the top of that little "hill" is where my legs finally went on strike. Both calves were trying to cramp with each step. I hadn't taken a second round of electrolyte capsules when I should have and was paying the price now. Erin pulled away. She still looked strong and was still on track to finish under 2:30. I had slowed to a stiff shuffle trying to minimize the cramping.

It was a long mile and a half to the finish line. One bright spot was seeing Kristy cheering from the edge of the road. I finally made it across the line. Jon, Erin, and Heather were there. After I got my medal and some water we waited for Chris to come through. Then we decided to go to Rhombus Guy's Pizza for some food.

At one point during the meal our server took our glasses for refills. Erin pulled an amazing slight-of-hand and slipped her debit card to the server along with her glass. All any of us saw was Erin handing a copy of the receipt and a pen back to the server the next time she stopped at our table. Heather and I exchanged looks of "What the heck just happened?" Thanks so much for the pizza Erin!

All-in-all it was a really fun morning spent with friends.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brother, What a great bunch of running friends. Makes up a huge part of the enjoyment, I expect. Keep up the great training. Just finished a 5 mile hike into the mountains behind us. No way I could work your program. A part of my long-ago past and even then, not as much distance or speed. Way to go!!!