Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cool Running


Well it's Saturday and that means another long run. It was -2 degrees this morning with a wind chill of -25. I went out early and was hoping to go at least eight miles but came up a little short. My left leg was being somewhat uncooperative after about four and a half miles. My knee and hip were really stiff. I think it was from running through some thicker snow early in today's run. I called it quits for this morning after five and a half miles, but I'm planning on going out later today for another run.

We had our first training class "informational meeting" last Thusday night. The topic was clothing and how to choose the correct shoes. I akready knew much of this info, but some of it (like how different shoes are constructed) was new and very interesting. They also passed around samples of clothing made from different moisture wicking materials. It's still hard for me to wear synthetic socks. I guess my phys-ed teacher did a great job of stressing the importance of weraring cotton socks when exercising. Oh how times have changed.

Our class had a fun run this morning, but I had already made some plans and decided to wait until next Saturday's official long run to take part in the group activity. We received our training schedules for the next six weeks. I was a little shocked at the difference in weekly milage between the half marathon (12 to 15 miles per week) and the marathon (21 to 27 miles per week). I had a moment of doubt about my goal, but then realized that I was already putting in the close to the number of miles called for in the marathon schedule. I guess seeing it on paper was a bit startling. I need to remind myself that all I need to do is just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

1 comment: